Since I've arrived in Natales, the Chilean government passed a law to raise the gas prices 17% in Southern Patagonia. The people of the region have responded by protesting in the streets and closing the businesses in town, including the airport and the bus station. The bus drivers and taxi drivers are on strike, the grocery stores are closed, and tourists are stranded in Natales. They are not allowing people to enter Torres del Paine, and it has been difficult for many people to find transportation out of the park. I was lucky enough to catch a bus from the park to Natales yesterday afternoon, after waiting only a few short hours. There were hundreds of people camping, waiting, and hoping that the buses would return to transport them back to town. All of the roads in and out of town are blocked with buses, trucks, fires, and groups of people protesting the increased gas prices. It's quite exciting to be here during these times! I'm suppose to fly out of Punta Arenas this Friday, so hopefully everything is back up and running by then. If not, I suppose I'll just have to stay in Natales a little longer :)
My time in Torres del Paine was incredible! It is hands down the most beautiful place I've ever seen. We hiked for four days along rivers, lakes, glaciers, and gigantic snow covered peaks. I'll have lots of photos to share with you very soon!
I'll try to post again when there is more news available about the strike. Much love to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment