Monday, January 10, 2011

Kayaking, Climbing, and Hiking

My days have been filled with many new adventures! I've discovered a new passion for kayaking, and have paddled across the gulf a couple of times with my friend Cristian. He owns Fortaleza Expeditions here in Natales and guides clients across the gulf for lunch and a bird watching tour. The distance is not far, but the amount of time it takes to cross the gulf always depends on the weather and the wind. On my second day out, the wind was so strong that waves were crashing over the kayak, making it difficult to notice our slow progression across the sea. The return trip was obviously much easier, with the wind at our backs. And I was lucky enough to paddle next to a dolphin who was only ten feet away from my kayak. It was incredible!

Yesterday, I went climbing with Drew and Andre at The Middle Cave. This is the third climbing area that I've checked out, and all of the climbing is super fun. The friends that I'm climbing with have put up most of the routes around Natales. The local climbing areas have just recently been developed in the last few years. Most of the rock is conglomerate, but there is also some limestone at Laguna Sofia. The view from any of the climbing areas is spectacular, with gigantic mountains, turquoise water, and endless sky in every direction.

Most days I walk the 40 minutes from Chino's house (El Patroncito) into town. I might meet up with friends to eat lunch, do some shopping, take care of the laundry, or go drink a delicious micro brew at the local pub, Baguales. This morning I decided to walk the long route into town, along the coastline. The wind is so powerful that it nearly knocks you down, but the views make up for the extreme conditions. Swans and ducks float the swells, broken shells and driftwood litter the beach, and the winds causes huge waves to crash into the shoreline.

The next plan is to head back to the park tomorrow or Wednesday with Claudio. We're hoping for good weather so we can hike to the French Valley and to Glacier Grey. The weather has been perfect since I arrived on the 26th, so let's hope it stays that way!

1 comment:

  1. WOW tara! Sounds amazing!! I'm so happy for you! I can only imagine kayaking next to a dolphin! WOW

    ReplyDelete