Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Another Day, Another Protest

The title says it all! Unfortunately the protest on Sunday was canceled because it was raining, but there is another reason to protest today. The farmers are protesting Monsanto; a worldwide corporation that produces genetically modified seeds for crops. In the past, the Chilean people had the choice to use seeds that were free and local. Recently, a law was passed that states Chilean farmers must buy the seeds for their crops from Monsanto, which means the seeds are now being imported from other countries. This poses many environmental problems for the region, on top of the obvious problem that Monsanto has it's hands in the pockets of the Chilean government. I am very excited to join my friends at the protest.

I'm sure that everyone has heard about the volcano that erupted in Chile. Puyehue Volcano is located about 800 km south of Santiago, so I a well out of harms way. However, my plans to visit Bariloche have changed a bit since the eruption. The ash floated over the Andes and landed in Argentina where my friend is living. I think I'll postpone that part of my adventure until everything settles down.

Learning to make my way around Santiago is pretty exciting! Moving around a city with over 6 million people can be a bit overwhelming, but I'm becoming more comfortable every day. The buses could use a little tender love and care, but the subway system is awesome and very user friendly. I still prefer to walk to bike whenever I can though.

My friends and I had plans to climb San Jose Volcano (5856 m) but I need to train a bit before an adventure that grand. Also, one of my friends is very sick so we are planning to rock climb and camp for a few days instead. Hopefully we will have time for San Jose Volcano before I head South to Patagonia.

Well, I'm off to the protest! Sending big hugs to all!

2 comments:

  1. Tara! Missing you here in CO and glad to know that youre safe. It sounds like so much is going on down there. Send you an email soon!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara-
    I am a HUGE fan and check your Blog often! So exciting to here about your adventures so far away! I hope that it is everything that you dreamed it to be! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete