I went on a three day kayaking trip down the Rio Serrano (the river that drains Torres del Paine national park). My role was the assistant to the guide...mostly helping with cooking, moving and preparing gear, and translating for the clients. It was an amazing adventure, however, we only paddled for one hour on the first day. The famous Patagonian wind was too strong and made the waters very dangerous for kayaking. We were forced to abandon the kayaks but managed to "hitch hike" down the river in a Zodiac boat, until we arrived at Puerto Toro. Once in Puerto Toro, we had a ship scheduled to take us back to Puerto Natales (this is part of the regular trip), but once again the wind was too strong. The port was closed and there was no navigation possible on the waterways between the river and Puerto Natales. Somehow, we managed to keep the clients entertained for 2 days despite the lack of kayaking...they were all happy in the end. Whew!
Another aspect of my job at Kayak en Patagonia is photography, which is one of my great passions in life. We are trying to take photos of all of the clients during their kayaking adventures, and then we upload them to our Facebook page so that they have access. I have also made several videos and slideshows, which play on the television in the office. This gives the clients a chance to see what they can expect on one of our kayaking trips. And on top of all of that, I'm learning to kayak!!!
My friend, Carlos, is also using a few of my photos on the website for his guiding company. You can check it out at: http://extremochile.com/. There is still the idea to start my own website for my photography, but I'm thinking that might have to wait until I have some free time at the end of the season.
So I'm still loving my time in Patagonia. I've made so many wonderful friends and amazing memories since I arrived in June, and the summer has just begun! Sending big hugs and lots of love to all of my family and friends! Hope that everyone enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday!
Sounds like nice living you are doing.
ReplyDeleteLove you, miss you. Any birthday plans?
Tara-
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday and Merry Christmas to you!!!