The weather here in Natales has been gorgeous this last week! There seems to be a misconception that the winter in Patagonia is unbearably harsh, but this is not the case at all. On the contrary, it’s quite comfortable to spend the day biking along the coast in the sunshine, which is how I spent my afternoon yesterday. Earlier this week we awoke to rain in Natales, but by mid-day, when we arrived at in the park, the clouds parted and the sun warmed our skin. Torres del Paine is absolutely incredible in the winter, covered in a blanket of snow. The perspective of the rolling hills leading up to the gigantic massive of rock has an entirely different dimension. It’s difficult to find words to describe the beauty of this wonder of the world. Simply, it’s breath taking.
Even more amazing, are the animals that survive in the extreme climate of Torres del Paine. The nandu, guanaco, condor, and several other species of birds are just a few examples of the fauna we witnessed that day. The nandu is a large land bird that makes its home in the southern region of Patagonia. This ostrich like creature can run at speeds near 60km per hour, but lacks the ability to fly. The guanaco, like the llama, is blanketed with thick wool to protect it from the ever-changing weather of Patagonia. And the Andean Condor, the largest bird in the world, has a wingspan of 6-9 feet. I couldn’t even begin to count how many condors we watched soaring through the blue sky on our drive to the park.
So you may have concluded, from reading my last few blog posts, that I’m enjoying my time in Patagonia. Indeed, I find myself in a world that is wild, exciting, and filled with adventure. Every morning I’m grateful for the vista of the sea, dwarfed by the towering, snow covered mountains. Every day I appreciate the smell of the salt water blowing up from the coast, filling the air with a richness that warms the soul. And every night I enjoy taking dinner and tea with my friends in a warm house, filled with laughter. For these things, I am thankful for my time in Patagonia.
So happy for you, Tara. Dreams do come true!
ReplyDeleteMiss you!
Kellie
Thanks, KB! It's true...dreams do come true! I miss you too! Big hugs!
ReplyDeleteTara